Institude of Integrated Mircosystems Funded Project
Integrated Chemical Microsystem for Fine Chemical Production
Prof King Lun Yeung,
Department of Chemical Engineering, HKUST
Jul 1, 2002 to Jun 30, 2004
Fine chemicals and pharmaceuticals are high value added products that are produced in small volume.
They are usually seasonal products that are customer specific and have a short shelf life.
These characteristics usually placed a significant constraint in their production,
such that it is not uncommon to see labour intensive btach processes being used
instead of the more efficient continuous processes. Integrated chemical microsystems
(e.g., microreactors and microseparators) offer a new paradigm for meeting the following challenges:
clean production and minimization of waste generation. The proposed project has two objectives:
(1) design and fabrication of an integrated chemical microsystem,
(2) performance test for production of fine chemicals.
- S. M. Lai, R. Martin-Aranda, K.L. Yeung, ：Knoevenagel
condensation reaction in a membrane microrector；, Chem. Commun. 2(2003)218.
- Y.S.S Wan, A. Gavriilidis, K.L. Yeung, 1-pentene
epoxidation in titanium silicalite-1 microchannel reactor: A comparison
between experiments and model, Trans. IChemE., 81(2003)753.
- S.M. Lai, C.P. Ng, R. Martin-Aranda and K.L. Yeung, ：Knoevenagel
condensation reaction in a zeolite membrane microreactor. ：J. Microporous
and Mesoporous Mater., 66(2003)239
- X.F. Zhang, S.M. Lai, R. Martin-Aranda and K.L. Yeung, ： An
investigation of knoevenagel condensation reaction in microreactors using
new zeolite catalysts, ； Appl. Catal. A, 261(2004) 109.
- Y.S.S. Wan, J.L.H. Chau, A Gavriilidis and K.L. Yeung, ：1-pentene
epoxidation in catalytic microfabricated reactors,； J. Catal., 223 (2004)
- Emily S.M. Lai (M.Phil. 2003)
- Willma W.N. Lau (M.Phil. Student)
Back to project list